Monday, August 30, 2010

Weekly Menu 8/30 - 9/1/10 and the State Fair

It's the time of summer we look forward to every year, the Minnesota State Fair time. We're lucky as MN has arguably one of the best State Fairs in the country & it's just over the Mississippi in St. Paul. We love to go try out try out new foods, eat some old favorites, visit all the animal barns & just enjoy the people watching. It's also one of my favorite places to take photos.

Created with flickr slideshow from softsea.

It was 4-H Day at the Fair so we spent a lot of time watching animal judging & all the hard work these kids have done. We also spent time at one of the most popular places, The Miracle Birth Building. Eighteen piglets had been born just 1/2 hour before we got there. As food food, we tried a couple of new things. Everyone said we had to have the Peaches & Cream Parfait from the Salty Tart; it was the perfect fresh, cool treat on a hot day. We also tried another new highly rated dish, the zeppoles, which were messy with their creamy filling & powdered sugar but oh, so tasty. I was interested in the chicken fried bacon & pigs ear fries but after all the the bad reviews we decided to skip them & went for La Loma Tamales & The Original Cheese Curds (where they truck the curds in fresh from WI everyday!), things we knew would be good.

No farmers market finds this week as we are leaving on vacation in a couple days & didn't need too much. We picked up some bread & a few greens for side dishes. We did though try the new Chef Shack Charcuterie Plate.
IMG_5554
How's that for a breakfast. Hey, Chef Shack has been nominated as one of America's Favorite Food Trucks on Food Network. You can vote here.

On to Menu Planning Monday...

As I said we are leaving on vacation this week so we are having sort of easy what we have on hand meals.

Brats with Potato Salad & Broccoli

Grilled Chicken with Tomatillo Salsa

Mustard Glazed Salmon with Green Beans

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photogr
aphs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

4 comments:

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

The piggies are cute! =)

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

There is no better food or people watching then the MN State Fair! We are heading there today actually, we love the rodeo, Miracle of Birth Center, Zappoles and everything! I heard great things aboutthe Salty Tart and can't wait to try the greek yogurt ice cream. And ohhhh the people watching and all the free reusable bags, hahah. Love it!

SAB said...

Awe, I miss the fair! I am a MN native and I am now "living" in NC. This is the first year in about a dozen or so that I have miss it! Something just does not feel right! Anywhos, I love reading your blog, gets me my MN fix! I have a blog, Saffron and Semper Fi. (www.wwwssfi.blogspot.com) I blog mainly about recipes and what not, and I am trying to get myself out there in the blogging world. If you would like to check me out that would be awesome! Thanks so much and keep on doing what you do!

Oh, you might like this: http://wwwssfi.blogspot.com/2009/11/well-golly-geeill-be.html

Check out my ode to MN this past Thanksgiving!

;-)

Lori said...

That plate looks so good! What a creative spread. I love watching the animals being judged at the fair. A great way to celebrate summer. I also like to add a milkshake from the dairy club. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota